“All I want for Christmas is a safe and happy home.”
It’s a sad fact that family violence increases over the Christmas holidays, but only a quarter of incidents are reported to the police. If you see, hear or suspect that someone you know is being hurt – even if it’s just a gut feeling – don’t ignore it. Showing you care could be the best Christmas present you give. Here are some tips:
- It’s OK to help.
- Offer practical stress-reducers such as babysitting, shared meals or time out.
- Create safe opportunities for someone you are worried about to talk to you and share what’s happening.
- If you are worried about a child, contact Police or other professionals.
Useful links and numbers
- Police emergency – 111
- Women’s Refuge – (0800 1 REFUGE)
- Victim Support – (0800 VICTIM)
- Lifeline – (0800 543354)
- Family Violence It’s Not OK – (0800 456 450)
- Werry Centre
- If you want to report criminal activity but don’t want to reveal your identity, you can pass it anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or at www.crimestoppers-nz.org