Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace and goodwill. Sadly though, stress can build in the holidays and overflow in family violence. Here are some ways to make sure this summer is a safe and happy time for your family:
- Plan ahead, especially when there are different family groups involved. Agree on access arrangements in advance and stick to the agreed plans. Make sure children get to spend quality time with both parents if there is shared custody.
- Don’t spend what you can’t afford.
- If it all gets too stressful, talk to someone you can trust.
- Go easy on the alcohol. Kids are safer when you’re sober.
- If an argument starts to brew, take a deep breath and walk away. Take time out to let everyone calm down or sober up.
- If you have concerns for your own or your children’s safety, contact the police.
Useful links and numbers
- Police emergency – 111
- Women’s Refuge – (0800 1 REFUGE)
- Victim Support – (0800 VICTIM)
- Lifeline – (0800 543354)
- Family Violence It’s Not OK – (0800 456 450)
- If you want to report criminal activity but don’t want to reveal your identity, you can pass it anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or at www.crimestoppers-nz.org