Helping children thrive at school
Sometimes primary or intermediate school can be difficult for children, because of issues either at school or at home.
Our trained Social Workers in Schools (SWiS) partner with you and the school to help your child thrive. They can also link you with other community networks and support.
How we can help
Social Workers in Schools support children in Years 1 to 8. Here are some of the things we can work on with you, your child and their school:
- social skills, self-esteem and confidence
- family or peer relationships
- behaviour issues
- family violence
- grief and loss
- referrals to other agencies.
Where to start
- View a list of schools that have a Family Works SWiS worker.
- Contact your nearest Family Works site.
- You or your child can contact the SWiS directly.
- Teachers, principals or community members can refer children to SWiS
How we’ve helped
- 123 enquiries every school day for helpful information and advice.
- 118 low decile schools have a Family Works social worker.
“I used to run away. Now I share the problem.”